socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

On the pages of my e-commerce website where I sell medals of

On the pages of my e-commerce website where I sell medals of patron saints, I would like to add short biographies from Wikipedia. Would i be free to do so?

You may use wikipedia text found in any article for a commercial purpose, provided that you provide attribution as required by the Creative Commons License.

However, if there are pictures, illustrations, photos, music, on a webpage, these items may be separately owned by their copyright owner and you may need a license to republish them on your website. Also if there is a person named in the article, or a photo or other picture of that person, or an audio file of the person's voice, and you use that information in your commercial advertisement, you may be liable to the person for commercial appropriation of identity, which would entitle the person to any lost profits caused by your unlawful use. So, you may have to redact/delete certain text or other materials from your use of the Wikipedia information.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. The biograhies are of saints (such as St. Michael, St. Christopher, St. Therese) so it appears all that applies in this case would be the attribution. Would it be sufficient to put "Wikipedia" in parentheses after the short excerpt?

At the bottom of the Creative Commons License it states:

Notice—For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do that is with a link to

So, somewhere on each webpage where you use Wikipedia text, you can state something at the bottom of the page, like:

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's just what I wanted to know. Thanks very much for the excellent service.