Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

If Im using images or tear outs of other peoples pictures

If I'm using images or tear outs of other peoples pictures from a magazine to create an art collage, will I run into any copyright infringement issues? can i be sued for this if my artwork is sold for profit?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm an Intellectual Property litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist you with this matter.

The only way to be completely safe is for the collage artist to get a license from the copyright owners of the images so there's no infringement.

It is possible to develop a derivative work, which is a work that uses copyrighted images to create a new work that could also be copyrighted. However, you still must obtain permission from the owner of the images in order to be free from infringement. Here's a good article you can read about this:

Thus, if you're selling these things for profit, you would be exposed to legal liability unless you obtain permission from the owners to use their images.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need anything further, please let me know.