Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I received a fine notice for copyright infringement. The notice,

I received a fine notice for copyright infringement. The notice, which also blocks the use of my computer, directs me to a paymet method and also shows an FBI and Interpol logos. Is this real?

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

It does sound suspicious. How did you receive it? How are you directed to pay the "fine"?

Customer:

I am directed to pay through what amounts to a money order. I buy a card (forget the name) from a retailer like Walgreens and then enter the 9 digit code on the card. The notice of the fine pops up when I turn on my computer and prevents me from getting into work areas on my computer or from connecting to the internet.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

It's absolutely a scam, no question about it. The FBI certainly does not operate like that, and as far as I know Interpol doesn't. It's a virus or "malware" (which is why you can't do anything with your computer).

RobertMcEwenEsq :

First, ignore the notice. Again, it's not from the FBI.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

You would receive something via mail if it was FBI, not malware.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Here's a how to on how to remove this virus:

Customer:

Thank you for the confirmation. It just seemed awfully petty and a waste of resources for any government agency to care.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Exactly.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

Customer:

I was concerned, however, because I would think it is serious fraud to invoke FBI and/or Interpol in the virus.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

It absolutely is.

Customer:

Thanks again.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

But they use pretty anonymous methods to get you to pay.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

You're welcome, and again, good luck to you!