Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Ihave an idea for a logo on a shirt or hat! Should I apply for a patent. should I

Ihave an idea for a logo on a shirt or hat!
Should I apply for a patent.
should I apply for trademark.
should I apply for copyright.
should I apply for llc. tia paul

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

A logo, if it's not going to designate your actual business, would be something that you would copyright. A logo is not something that you would get a patent for (patents protect inventions, rather than creative expressions, and trademarks protect marks that represent a company or product.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Now if the logo is for the business itself, rather than being something that you intend to sell through your business but not representative of the business itself (for instance, if it's a funny logo, etc... that does not indicate the name of the business itself, or a motto, slogan, etc... of your business) then that would be something that you would apply for copyright protection for through the US Copyright office.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

As for the type of business, that depends on the exposure and potential liability that you think that you will have.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

if you do not think that you are going to have a lot of liability or be exposed to liability for whatever reason, you can operate your business as a sole proprietorship. There's no filing that has to be done with the state government to be able to do this.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

But if you believe that you are going to have exposure to liability, and want to protect your individual assets, then an LLC would be a good idea.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

Customer:

Can I contact you at a later date, on this subject and pay only once thanks

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Yes. Please rate this so it will close out for the time being, but after you rate, you can ask follow up questions in the scope of the original and not have to pay additionally.

Customer:

perfect thanks so much ... paul