BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

I would like to publish some things I wrote, because is my

I would like to publish some things I wrote, because i's my own is it automatically copyrighted because it's mine or do I still have to register it and can I use the copyright symbol if I don't have to register my work?

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

BizIPEsq. :

As you noted correctly once you put pen to paper the work is automatically copyrighted

BizIPEsq. :

You can choose to register the work with the copyright office and it will give you the following benefits:

BizIPEsq. :

1) you could go to court and sue in the event your work is infringed upon

BizIPEsq. :

2) you could collect statutory treble damages from the time your work is registered

BizIPEsq. :

3) if you wish to sell it, registration will be give you conclusive proof of ownership

BizIPEsq. :

you can use the copyright symbol even without registration. Actually the use of the copyright symbol became optional in 1978. As noted all works these days are copyrighted whether you put the copyright notice or not. But it's always a good idea to include it.

BizIPEsq. :

In conclusion, you don't have to register to be protected by copyright law. Registration, however gives you the above noted benefits.

BizIPEsq. :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you

BizIPEsq. :

Please rate my answer

BizIPEsq. :

Without your rating I do not get compensated for my work

Customer:

Thank you so much this has put my mind at ease.