BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

I just received a notice for one of the porn movie that I downloaded

Customer Question

I just received a notice for one of the porn movie that I downloaded from wicked pictured its asking me to settle $1,700
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  BizIPEsq. replied 1 year ago.

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer :

Hello, I will be assisting you

did you purchase the movie legally or did you use a peer to peer service?

JACUSTOMER-4qoe3kbh- : I torrent it but I didn't know that it was illegal. I never sold it or shared it with anyone. It said my settlement passed but I never got any email or notice from it until today.
JACUSTOMER-4qoe3kbh- : I don't have that kind of money. What can I do?

Downloading any copyrighted content is not legal and the law never recognizes ignorance of the law as an excuse.

did they mail the letter? or did they email the letter?

JACUSTOMER-4qoe3kbh- : They emailed me
JACUSTOMER-4qoe3kbh- : This firm represents the above-identified studio in connection with the enforcement, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. งง 106, 504 and 505, of its copyright in the above-named movie.A notice was previously sent on 03/23/2013 at 4:38:37 PM EDT providing opportunity to settle the copyright infringement claim against you and/or other person(s) liable for the infringement. The notice contained the following infringement information:Infringement Title: JUST VISITINGInfringement File Name: Just Visiting.mp4Infringement Hash: 65A83057AEA7718E0ED1D38681A5DE31FA07A8CCInfringement File Size: 1,321,192,800 bytesInfringement Protocol: BitTorrentInfringement Timestamp: 03/21/2013 12:30:18 AM EDTInfringers IP Address: 74.194.131.203Infringers Port: 54622ISP: Suddenlink CommunicationsThe previous opportunity to settle the above copyright claim has passed.However, you (and/or other persons responsible for the infringement) have ONE opportunity to resolve potential litigation. This opportunity will expire Friday, June 28, 2013.If you desire to resolve this matter, send the settlement payment of $1750.00 in the form of a check or money order made payable to "Law Offices of Marvin Cable" with "Case Management ID: 28832695" written on the remittance/advice line of the check or money order, along with your signature on the Liability Release Agreement (see attached document) to this address:Law Offices of Marvin CablePO Box 1630Northampton, MA 01061With respect to the Liability Release Agreement, read it carefully. Once the money represented by your check or money order has actually been received in my attorney-client trust account, I will return a counter-signed Liability Release Agreement on behalf of SBO Pictures DBA Wicked Pictures, along with a Settlement Date and Release Security Code.Do NOT delete any files relating to the above-identified motion picture from any computers which connected to your internet access point unless and until the above-identified studio's copyright infringement claim is resolved by settlement or otherwise. If files are deleted, in addition to damages, we may seek legal action against you for spoliation (i.e., destruction or alteration) of evidence.As noted above, consider consulting with legal counsel. We look forward to resolving this matter according to the terms set forth in the Liability Release Agreement.Sincerely,Marvin CableLAW OFFICES OF MARVIN CABLEwww.marvincable.com67 N. Pleasant StreetAmherst, MA 01002Tel: XXX-XXX-XXXX
JACUSTOMER-4qoe3kbh- : That's what it says in my email. I'm so terrified.
JACUSTOMER-4qoe3kbh- : I don't want this to ruin my future.

Let me explain what's going on: the fact that they email the letter to you and not mailed it indicates that they do not have your mailing address. Not to say that they cannot find out but it means at this time they are trying to make like easy for themselves. Their goal is to make easy money with as little effort as possible. Also keep in mind that commencing a law suit is expensive and as a college student you have no assets and therefore not a good candidate for recovery of money. Generally speaking, it would not do them any good to have a judgment for a lot of money against you without the ability to collect on that judgment.

With that said, I cannot predict what they would do (i.e. whether they will sue or not) but you can draw you own conclusion based on the views presented before. So this leaves you with three choices:

1) pay the $1700 and be done with it

2) negotiate with them until they agree to amount you are ok with. You can tell them that you are a student that you have no money that you are unemployed that good luck to them in trying to sue you or collect from you. Offer them $100 and see what they say

(or any other amount you think it appropriate)

3) ignore them and see what happens. It could possibly be that they will determine that you are judgment proof and not bother with you

Finally, whatever you decide to do NOT share with them any personal information about yourself. Do not answer any questions. Just stick to your story that you are a poor student and that's it.

JACUSTOMER-4qoe3kbh- : Law Offices of Marvin CableBy Certified MailJune 13, 2013To:XXXXX XXXXX1001 Krenek Tap RoadApt 1401College Station, TX 77840Re: Your Copyright Infringement in Connection WithMovie Title: Saints and SinnersStudio: SBO Pictures DBA Wicked PicturesCase Management ID: 28832696THIS IS A SERIOUS MATTER<u>PLEASE CONSIDER CONSULTING YOUR OWN ATTORNEY</u>Dear XXXXX XXXXX:This firm represents the above-identified studio in connection with the enforcement, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. งง 106, 504 and 505, of its copyright in the above-named movie.A notice was previously sent on 03/23/2013 at 4:51:51 PM EDT providing opportunity to settle the copyright infringement claim against you and/or other person(s) liable for the infringement. The notice contained the following infringement information:Infringement Title: Saints and SinnersInfringement File Name: wkd_saints_and_sinners_400p_1300.mp4Infringement Hash: E92988BCC17C9A5E9BF09CA589FF924AC68ABC76Infringement File Size: 1,270,010,631 bytesInfringement Protocol: BitTorrentInfringement Timestamp: 03/21/2013 12:58:04 AM EDTInfringers IP Address: 74.194.131.203Infringers Port: 54622ISP: Suddenlink CommunicationsThe previous opportunity to settle the above copyright claim has passed.However, you (and/or other persons responsible for the infringement) have ONE opportunity to resolve potential litigation. This opportunity will expire Friday, June 28, 2013.If you desire to resolve this matter, send the settlement payment of $1750.00 in the form of a check or money order made payable to "Law Offices of Marvin Cable" with "Case Management ID: 28832696" written on the remittance/advice line of the check or money order, along with your signature on the Liability Release Agreement (see attached document) to this address:Law Offices of Marvin CablePO Box 1630Northampton, MA 01061With respect to the Liability Release Agreement, read it carefully. Once the money represented by your check or money order has actually been received in my attorney-client trust account, I will return a counter-signed Liability Release Agreement on behalf of SBO Pictures DBA Wicked Pictures, along with a Settlement Date and Release Security Code.Do NOT delete any files relating to the above-identified motion picture from any computers which connected to your internet access point unless and until the above-identified studio's copyright infringement claim is resolved by settlement or otherwise. If files are deleted, in addition to damages, we may seek legal action against you for spoliation (i.e., destruction or alteration) of evidence.As noted above, consider consulting with legal counsel. We look forward to resolving this matter according to the terms set forth in the Liability Release Agreement.Sincerely,Marvin CableLAW OFFICES OF MARVIN CABLEwww.marvincable.com67 N. Pleasant StreetAmherst, MA 01002Tel: XXX-XXX-XXXX
JACUSTOMER-4qoe3kbh- : The emailed it to email for the first time today so could I tell them that I never received their other emails about the first settlement

you could. But bear in mind that these are artificial deadlines. The bottomline for you is if you are willing to settle how much are you willing to pay

offer that amount and see what happens

otherwise you have the choice of not doing anything. email notices are not valid legal notices

Thank you for allowing me to assist you

Please rate my service

without your rating I do not get compensated for my work

Please use the rate button below. Can you can always follow up with additional question after you rate me

JACUSTOMER-4qoe3kbh- : So I can ignore them and what happens if they try to sue me? If I say $100 that would mean I was guilty of doing it?

The possibility of a law suit is the risk you need to consider. If you pay and settle they will provide you with a waiver and release where they release all claims against you in return for payment.

so you will not be liable in the future for this

JACUSTOMER-4qoe3kbh- : Alright ill try to negotiate with them. Also, can't I just claim that my wireless Internet was unprotected and somebody got into it? Jw

I can answer this separate question. Please rate and we can continue

BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience: I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, can you continue to help me? Thank you so much

Expert:  BizIPEsq. replied 1 year ago.

Legally as the owner of the account, ultimately you are responsible for activity in it. You can try and make excuses but realistically they are interested in money and not in finding out who did it...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok alright, I will try the $100 and is this conversation posted online just wondering?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have an email that I send you a copy of my actual email it says that it was sent certified mail and email

Expert:  BizIPEsq. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, experts on JA are not permitted to share personal information it's part of the terms of the site