Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.

Hello, I put out a daily subscription newsletter that is sent

I put out a daily subscription newsletter that is sent out via email and also is accessible via our website.
I want to know if I can cut and paste an article from a source such as the NY Times.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My apologies but that would be copyright infringement. Before you repost an article from a third party, that party must formally agree to allow you to repost their information. You also must provide them with full credit and state where the article is reposted from. Most magazines or publishers will not have an issue with such reposting, but you must still obtain formal permission. This is the reason why, for example bloggers simply provide a link rather than the whole reprinted article on their site--that could otherwise be considered a violation.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Thank you for you answer which was right to the point. I understand that copying and pasting an entire article is not allowed. How about copying and pasting 1 or 2 paragraphs? Or a few sentences? Can I write: The NY Times reported today " " and copy and paste in between the quotation marks part of an article? How about summarizing an article from a source in my own words? Does the summary need attribution? What kind of attribution is required? Is source name enough or do I need to add Date? Author?

If I make a good faith effort to accurately summarize an article, is that enough to protect me from a claim that the summary is not accurate?

Thank you for your follow-up, Irvin. Please allow me to clarify below.

Would it be OK for us to cut and paste one or 2 paragraphs from an article?
That is probably not permitted under 'fair use' as you are still substantially copying someone else's work.

How about a few sentences?
That is less likely to be considered infringement based on the scope of your information and how you define it. Pure copying is still not permitted but an analysis of the article or a summary is likely permitted.

Can I write: The NY Times reported today " " and copy and paste in between the quotation marks part of an article?
So long as it is not a substantial portion of the article.

Can I summarize an article in my own words?
Yes, provided you give credit to the article you are summarizing.

Does the summary need attribution? Does attribution mean: Source? Date? Author?
Yes, and yes.

If I make a good faith effort to accurately summarize an article is that enough to protect me from a claim that the summary is not accurate?
Good question--this would be your summary and your interpretation of the article, so provided you do not materially or intentionally misrepresent the article, positions, or what is being reported, it is sufficient protection.

Good luck and kindly do not forget to positively rate my answers to you so that I may obtain credit for my work. Thank you!

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: I assist my clients with IP questions that arise in their daily course of doing business.