BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters

I am about to write a Sci-fiction book. I may invite a co-author

I am about to write a Sci-fiction book. I may invite a co-author and/or a shadow writer. I already have an invitation from a publishing company to share my book with them. My concern is protecting my intellectual property (copyrights, trademark, authorship) and avoiding any conflict with third party contributors, scientific research studies and/or quotes or references made to subject matter experts. What are the legal documents that I need to obtain and where can I find them?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  BizIPEsq. replied 1 year ago.

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

BizIPEsq. :

Let me review the question

Customer:

Do you need further information from me?

BizIPEsq. :

You have a number of issues that need to be addressed:

BizIPEsq. :

1) maintaining your rights in connection with the ghost writer. Generally speaking that is done through a ghostwriting work for hire agreement. The agreement typically outlines the Cooperation between the named author and the ghostwriter, assigns copyrights to the named author, details the compensation and addresses any credits given or agreed to confidentiality. See a sample agreement here

BizIPEsq. :

2) the other portion of the your question deals with the risks of referring to other materials. Generally speaking, you can reference in your book ideas expressed in published articles but you cannot copy those articles. Therefore, you would need to significantly paraphrase or better yet summarize in your own language any source that you would like to use. Generally you are permitted to reference the name of the source (even if it's trademarked) and as long as your summary is truthful you can proceed in good faith.

BizIPEsq. :

you could of course ask scientists for permission to use their articles in your book. If they do agree to let you use their work (in legal terms this is called a license) then ask them to sign a content license agreement which you would present to them. See a sample agreement here.

BizIPEsq. :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you

BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience: I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters