BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

I have written my mothers memoirs during the Korean War. At

I have written my mothers memoirs during the Korean War. At one point in the story, she is staying at a Catholic Orphanage and my father is depositing money every month into a bank acct for the priest. The priest is taking the money and using it for purposes other than that which was agreed upon. I have the bank deposit slips as well as letters from the priests from 1952-1953. If I change the name of the priest (even tho he is deceased), would the Catholic Church have any grounds to sue me, if what I write is the truth but it reveals something that could be interpreted as a negative on the organization?

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

BizIPEsq. :

Truth is an absolute defense to a claim of defamation. So if you have evidence that the money was used for purposes other than those which were agreed upon then you would be able to defend any possible clam of defamation.

BizIPEsq. :

In addition you mentioned that you are concerned about action film the Catholic church since the priest is deceased, however unless the church is the beneficiary of the priest's estate generally speaking the Catholic church would nyt have standing to claim damages on behalf of the priest's estate on actions the priest did on his own.

BizIPEsq. :

typo (using spell correction): replace "film" with "that"

BizIPEsq. :

And since the allegations are true, as noted in the first paragraph the Catholic church would generally not have a claim as against truthful statements

BizIPEsq. :

Finally, if the matter involved the catholic church in a different country (Korea as an example) then the U.S. Catholic church is legally a different organization and only the Korean Catholic church could have a claim, if any all.

BizIPEsq. :

In conclusion, truth is the absolute defense too defamation so as long as you are truthful you will be able to defend yourself as against possible claims.

BizIPEsq. :

Thank you for allowing me to help you.

BizIPEsq. :

Please rate my service

Customer: I keep trying to rate you, the program will not allow me to rate. Hope you are not being shorted due to this tech problem.
BizIPEsq. :

Solved now. Please rate again. Thank you for your continued patronage.