How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 114028
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

filing a trademark preliminary injunction

This answer was rated:

I want to file a preliminary injunction for a trademark infringement on a business name. If I have trademark registration already and already sent cease and desist letters and received no response from the adverse parties, how do I file? The case has never been in court so there are no appeals. Do I only file a complaint first or can I just file a complaint along with the motion for preliminary injunction and its memorandum? Can I file it o the court's online website? I intend to file in new york federal court but can I file it in new york state court even though some of the parties are not NY residents? The adverse parties are using websites to promote their business with the infringed trademark.


I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what extra information do you need?


We presently have enough information to proceed with finding a professional to answer your question.

Please remember, sometimes, finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding.

We will contact you as soon as we hear back from one of the professionals. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX business.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Hello again,

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,
Thank you for your question and for asking for me. I was unable to get to your question because the system had me locked out and I apologize for the delay.

If you have already sent your cease and desist letter and they are continuing to violate your trademark rights, you would have to file a complaint for trademark infringement in the US District Court and together with that complaint you have to file a motion for preliminary injunction to obtain a court order to them to cease using your mark. If the trademark belongs to a business, the business must file suit and a business (corporation, S-Corp or LLC or Partnership) must be represented by an attorney and an owner cannot represent the business in a legal matter as it would be considered an unauthorized practice of law since a business is considered a separate legal entity that can sue and be sued. If you personally own the trademark under your personal name, you can file the suit and motion for the preliminary injunction on your own. To file this in the online US District Court system, you have to arrange with the clerk of the court to have an online account and if not you have to file it in person and then you have to serve the other party using a process server with a copy of the complaint, motion and summons.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 114028
Experience: Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
Law Educator, Esq. and other Intellectual Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions