BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

I was hired by a modeling agency to to do pictures for their

I was hired by a modeling agency to to do pictures for their website. I provided a copy of my license for identification purpose. The company is now displaying my personal name on their website and advertising as if I was for hire. I have asked them to remove this info as it appears all over the web the moment you google my name but, they are asking me to pay thousands of dollars to do so. I believe it is illegal for them to use my personal name and would like to know what the is the best way to handle this matter.

Thanks

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

BizIPEsq. :

Let me review the question

BizIPEsq. :

Question: did you sign a modeling agreement with them?

BizIPEsq. :

If did not sign any agreement then you should send them a written notice (preferably with certified mail) where you give them notice that you are no longer available to do modeling work for them and telling them to remove your images and name

BizIPEsq. :

For your knowledge they cannot profit from your name or likeness without proper permission There are two distinct legal claims that potentially could apply to such unauthorized use: (1) invasion of privacy through misappropriation of name or likeness ("misappropriation"); and (2) violation of your right of publicity. The "right of publicity" is the right of a person to control and make money from the commercial use of his or her identity.

BizIPEsq. :

In the notice to them you may want to include the above two points and caution them that any continued use of images of you will create damages that you intend to pursue.

BizIPEsq. :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you

BizIPEsq. :

Please rate my answer. Without your rating I do not get compensated for my work