BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters

I am getting threats form the USCG and Nu Image about a movie

I am getting threats form the USCG and Nu Image about a movie someone downloaded over my internet. (Conan). Neither I nor my room mate downnloaded such a film. Our internet is open b/c for some reason our xbox's don't like it passworded. I explained this to the group. And they said 500 by 6/24. I replied to them telling them there would be no way for me to have 500 by that date. And I am thinking about getting legal advice on this subject. They then replied they would not debate it. And now it was 400 by 6/7... I need some legal advice on this.. I work in corrections and this could seriously destroy my job, over something I didn't do.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  BizIPEsq. replied 1 year ago.

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

Customer:

hello. sorry i dont have much time. i am heading to work soon

BizIPEsq. :

it appears that someone used you open connection to download the movie. The company likely traced your IP (the id number that every connection has) and hence they came to you

Customer:

exactly

BizIPEsq. :

NP let me be brief

BizIPEsq. :

botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you need to protect your work at corrections and should consider paying something

BizIPEsq. :

and I know that someone else did it and it sucks but here's a thoughtr

BizIPEsq. :

if they came down from $500 to $400 there is a good chance that they will go down lower

BizIPEsq. :

maybe even $300 or $250.

Customer:

i offered to pay them something. they asked what i could afford. i said possibly 300 by 6/24.. they said they would contact the lawyers and let me know. a week and half passed i didn't hear anything, so i emailed them about it again.. and their response was they would not debate it and changed the deadline to 400 by 6/7.. instead of 500 by 6/24

BizIPEsq. :

consider driving a hard bargain and tell them that all you have is $100 and then maybe settle for something more

BizIPEsq. :

tell them that money you expected did not come through and now you only have $100...

BizIPEsq. :

tell them you can pay the $100 immediately or there is no deal...

Customer:

i will try that and see what happens. if they don't go for it, what are my options? (really need to get to work now or i will be late)

BizIPEsq. :

realitically they have the responsibility to do something

BizIPEsq. :

will they sue you for $500...

BizIPEsq. :

the cost of filling will be that...

BizIPEsq. :

in many of these cases that just make threats

BizIPEsq. :

obviously one never knows and they mean business

Customer:

do you have an email where i can email you what they sent me and my reply. so you can look it over?

BizIPEsq. :

unfortunately experts on JA are not permitted to share personal info. after you rate my service you would be able to type the content of the letter

BizIPEsq. :

most are absolutely standard so I don't expect anything new

Customer:

lol.. ok... is there anyway to contact you if i have anymore questions?

BizIPEsq. :

you can keep replying to the thread after you rate

BizIPEsq. :

Without your rating I do not get compensated for my work

BizIPEsq. :

use the button below

BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience: I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters