BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters

I just finished writing my mothers memoirs about the Korean

I just finished writing my mothers memoirs about the Korean War. In your experience, does the author generally pay the person that they write about? Do I owe my mother a percent of profits and if so, how much. Do most parents expect payment for their story?

Hello, I will be assisting you

Generally speaking, there are two kinds memoirs: authorized and un authorized.

With unauthorized memoirs the subject figure is not paid any fees. It is by its nature not endorsed by the subject

With authorized memoirs the subject of the story may receive compensation that could be a flat fee or some revenue share from the book.

I'm not sure if most parents expects their children to pay for the recounting of their life's story. Personally I would think this would be flattering to the parents.

Legally however, please note that under the principle of law called the right of publicity, a person can claim their right to publicity is violated when it has been usurped for a commercial use. Commercial uses include ads, promotions and the sale of products or services. A book would be considered a commercial use and as the writer you may be liable for violating your mother's right to publicity because she is non-public person.

Please rate my answer.

Without your rating I do not get paid for my work