Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Lawyer
Experience:  MBA, Experienced and Knowledgeable in Intellectual Property Law
29360852

I use a GI Joe action figure in my Web comics, but never refer

I use a GI Joe action figure in my Web comics, but never refer to him by the name "G.I. Joe." Am I violating copyright/infringing on trademark by doing this?
Potentially, if your character is easily recognizable as a G.I. Joe character and has a similar likeness, mannerisms, as the official copyrighted characters, it is possible that you would be infringing with your use. Despite the fact that you do not specifically identify the character by name.

If most readers/consumers would identify your character as a G.I. Joe character, there may be an issue. If the character is loosely based upon the character and appears to be a standard U.S. soldier with common qualities associated with soldiers such as skill, toughness, and integrity, there would not likely be a violation.

A good test is to have person read your work and gain feedback as well have as have a intellectual property attorney review the two characters and similarities.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, sir! That's exactly what I needed to know right now.

Katy

You are welcome.