Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law

I have an idea for an invention (who doesnt?). Is there a

I have an idea for an invention (who doesn't?).
Is there a way to register/patent so another person doesn't market it before I do?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 3 years ago.

Alex Reese : Hello
Alex Reese : Yes, you can file a provisional or utility patent, but your invention will have to be described in sufficient detail so that one if skill in the art (whatever field your invention is in) can make or implement the invention. However, there is no protection available for a mere sea or concept.
Alex Reese : Mere idea or concept
Alex Reese : The date you file the patent will be your priority date.
Alex Reese : A provisional patent is best when you are in a hurry to file asap and more cheaply...but it must be followed up with a utility patent within a year.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I do it?

To file a patent (whether provisional or utility) you will need to consult a USPTO registered patent attorney or agent, who will go over the process/options with you
And definitely avoid so called "invention submission" companies or services
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've used "invention submission" company in the past. They quoted me a fee of $100,000. The invention I presented 20 years ago was to have radio controls on the steering wheel. Seemed safer. I couldn't justify spending that kind of money so I blew it off. Did they "steal" my invention? Who knows?

I'll try to contact a USPTO attorney.

May I contact you if I don't find one?

I'm not sure what service they would provide, but that sounds like a very large sum of money...not likely legitimate. Most times the invention submission companies take your money and perform generic submissions and provide you various stages of generic info. There may be legitimate companies out there that can help you with marketing you invention (although most of those are ineffective or scams as well), when it comes to preparing and filing the patent application you definitely should use a patent attornet/agent. You want a patent attorney that specializes in "patent prosecution." Unfortunately, the experts here cannot perform any legal work or communicate with customers outside this forum.