BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

I want to start a business that helps people with planning

I want to start a business that helps people with planning their meals when following a specific diet called the "Slow Carb Diet".

People will choose from our database of recipes what meals they want for the week, and we'll make their meal plan, grocery lists, etc...

I would like to find recipes online from different Slow Carb Recipe websites and I want to know what the copyright laws are about using recipes posted on other websites.

If it IS a copyright violation to use the images and recipes from other sites, what would i need to do legally to use those recipes and images?

BizIPEsq. : Hello, I will be assisting you
BizIPEsq. : Let me review the question
Customer: Great. I'm just working on some other things and I'll be by my computer.
BizIPEsq. : Generally speaking, copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of ingredients. Copyright protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook.
BizIPEsq. : So as long as the recipes are just a list of ingredients then you should be ok. However if they contain a creative description of preparation or cooking instructions then you would need to rewrite that in your own words.
BizIPEsq. : As far as images, you should NOT use images available online or in books unless you purchased a license to use those images or the images are specifically provided under a permissive license such as creative commons license
BizIPEsq. : Your best bet is to buy stock images from stock photography sites. Some of them have terrific photos for just a few dollars. In the alternative you can go on sites like Flickr and search for images provided under the creative common license
Customer: What would I need to do to get permission to use someones photos?
Customer: Simply ask and save an email where they gave me permission to use them or get a signed legal document that has been drawn up?
BizIPEsq. : you can contact the photographer or the publisher and see permission. If you get it make sure it is in writing
Customer: Sorry I found all of this on google while I was waiting for your response.
BizIPEsq. : why poor service?
BizIPEsq. : that's not fair
Customer: My mistake. I meant to click ok.
BizIPEsq. : thank you