socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I created a painting in y2000 and published multiple copies

I created a painting in y2000 and published multiple copies of it for sale at the same time. I registered the image this year on April 22. Subsequent to that date I discovered there was illegal use of the image on the internet by various websites, dating back to 2007.

Am I entitled to statutory damages and attorneys fees from these websites that have posted the image (and in one case continues to post it after being notified to take it down)?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

RobertMcEwenEsq : Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.
RobertMcEwenEsq : I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Registration is retroactive back to the date of publication ONLY for up to 90 days. That means that you cannot sue for infringement and collect damages caused before you registered your copyright UNLESS the registration is within 90 days of the first publication.
RobertMcEwenEsq : You can sue for damages that occur past the date of publication (such as if the website is still active)
RobertMcEwenEsq : But for the publication occurring in the past, I'm afraid you cannot pursue damages, but only injunction.
RobertMcEwenEsq : I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!
Customer: You can sue for damages that occur past the date of publication (such as if the website is still active)
Customer: You said "you can sue for damages that occur past the date of publication."
RobertMcEwenEsq : That is correct.
RobertMcEwenEsq : You can't sue for damages that occurred before you regsitered.
RobertMcEwenEsq : *registered
RobertMcEwenEsq : But you can sue for damages after registration.
RobertMcEwenEsq : So if there is a continuing infringement or new infringements, you can sue for damages for those.
Customer: Since we registered the artwork April 22 and we have verified the infringing use subsequent to that date are these violators subject to statutory damages and legal fees? I didn't understand your answer.
RobertMcEwenEsq : You mention that it occurred back to 2007. You cannot sue for infringement that occurred before the date of registration. But you can send a cease and desist letter, and sue for continued infringement that occurs AFTER the date of registration.
RobertMcEwenEsq : So, for instance, if they had taken it down before your registration, you would have no recourse.
RobertMcEwenEsq : You could not sue in that instance.
RobertMcEwenEsq : But if it is still active AFTER you register, you can sue.
RobertMcEwenEsq : Again, you should send a cease and desist letter, and if they continue, only sue after that because you can show that they continued to publish after knowledge, etc...
RobertMcEwenEsq : I'm sorry?
RobertMcEwenEsq : Why did you feel this was bad service? Did I not answer your question?
RobertMcEwenEsq : Or was there something that I was unclear about?
RobertMcEwenEsq : Please let me know why you feel that this was bad service... I believe that I answered your question, but if there was something that I was unclear about, please let me know.
RobertMcEwenEsq : Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response.
RobertMcEwenEsq : Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?
Customer: please opt out i need another Expert
RobertMcEwenEsq : I'm sorry that you feel this way and did not give me the chance to explain any misunderstanding that you have regarding this. I will opt out to allow someone else to assist you further.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Different contributor here. How may I assist you today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I created a painting in y2000 and published multiple copies of it for sale at the same time. I registered the image on April 22, 2013. After that date I discovered there was illegal use of the image on the internet by various websites, some dating back to 2007.

Am I entitled to statutory damages and attorneys fees from these websites and bloggers that have posted the image (and in one case continues to post it after being notified to take it down)?

What are my legal rights to this image subsequent to my application for registration date of April 22 2013? Am I entitled to statutory damages against infringers on or after this date?

A: In DEREK ANDREW, INC. v. POOF APPAREL CORP., 528 F.3d 696 (2008), the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that where there is are continuous and ongoing acts of copyright infringement occurring more than three months (n.b., not 90 days) before the effective date of registration of a copyright, the plaintiff/copyright owner cannot be awarded statutory infringement damages, because they are barred by 17 U.S.C. 412(2). The plaintiff, however can receive actual damages, to the extent that such damages may be proved. The same ruling has been made in some, but not all U.S. Circuits. New Mexico is located in the 10th Circuit, and thus far, no ruling on this issue has been issued. So, as a matter of law, the issue is not yet decided for you -- though the consensus of the courts is certainly that your claim would be barred, to the extent that you cannot demonstrate a new act of infringement occurring within three months of the date of registration.

Concerning the issue of your providing notice of a removal demand, pursuant to the Copyright Act, this is actually an issue of first impression for a federal court. No one has ever considered the issue. And, I can see, at least a colorable argument that once an infringing party is notified of the infringement and a demand to cease and desist takes place, then further infringement may be new infringement -- because the infringing party now knows that there is an infringement, and so is willfully violating the copyright owner's rights.

However, once again, this issue has not yet been considered, so there's no certainty in the outcome -- though I think the argument is a good one.

A: The issue at this time, as explained above, depends on whether or not there is a new act of infringement, rather than a continuation of prior infringement. And, there is an argument to be made that notice of the infringement after registration, breaks the chain of continuing infringement, and so statutory damages should be available after notice. But, this is a question for a court to decide -- at this time there is simply no answer to the question.

I encourage you to review the Poof decision, cited above, because it carefully explains the issues in detail.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything or further assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that the statutory rights of infringement begin with the copyright registration date in my circumstances and that anyone infringing on my image after the registration date are liable for statutory damages? We are currently waiting the ninety day period for notification of formal registration of the copyright. Do we have to wait for the registration number before we can send a demand letter?
Are you saying that the statutory rights of infringement begin with the copyright registration date in my circumstances and that anyone infringing on my image after the registration date are liable for statutory damages?

A: Exactly correct -- unless the infringement is part of a continuous act of infringement that began before the copyright registration date -- in which case, statutory damages remain unavailable, until the infringer commits a new act of infringement.

In the Poof case, the defendant/infringer continued to produce infringing hang tags after the date of registration and remained not liable for statutory damages, because the act was considered a continuing infringement. But, for example, had the defendant started using the infringing material for some other purpose after registration, then statutory damages would apply to that new infringement.

We are currently waiting the ninety day period for notification of formal registration of the copyright. Do we have to wait for the registration number before we can send a demand letter?

A: You can send your demand letter at any time. Remember, you are still entitled to sue for actual damages, connected with infringement occurring at any time in the past, regardless of the date of registration. The registration requirement only applies to statutory damage awards.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clarification: since this is a non commercial user and there has not been financial loss that we can calculate for a court, we are only interested in sending a demand letter for statutory damages and attorneys fees. Does your answer mean that we must wait until we have the registration number, which will be given in about two months, before we can send the kind of demand letter we are speaking of?
A sidenote: this is a professor with a multiple use website that publishes the works of many writers, including himself. When I sent notice to him to take down my image, he took down his portion of the website for a day, then reposted it in the same form with my image. Does this constitute a new use?

A: You can send a demand letter at any time. The registration will relate back to the date when you submitted the application. The demand letter does not trigger your right to sue. You aren't obligated to send a demand letter. You can just sue without any warning -- though the standard practice for law firms is to send a demand first, because sometimes you can get paid without suing.

A: That's interesting. I think that goes to my argument that once a takedown notice is submitted to an internet service provider, that breaks the chain of continuous infringement. I cannot say definitively that the removal and reposting represents a new infringement, but if I were the judge, that is what I would rule, because it makes sense. There was an absolute break in the continuity of infringement, and the infringer caused that break.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
You're welcome.

I hope you will provide a positive rating for my answer so that I may receive appropriate compensation.

Best wishes.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The most egregious abusers of my registered art images appear to be in other countries. What is involved in going after damages and/or to court against foreign illegal users once we are able to locate them and is it worth it in the long run?

Companies, both those in the U.S. and foreign, have layers of web hosts and other related security systems that protect them from direct contact. I do not have the skill level it takes to unravel the protection that surrounds such companies. Are there investigators who are able to find out the information needed to proceed with legal action?

I have been successful getting images removed from these sites by emailing DMCA notices to host servers. Is it sufficient to send demand letters by email and physical address to these websites via their webhosts as listed in 'who is' searches?

A: Unfortunately, the only practical means of holding a foreign person or entity liable for copyright infringement, is to sue that person/entity in their jurisdiction. Otherwise, it becomes difficult to enforce any judgment -- because the person/entity is not subject to the powers of a U.S. court or law, and none of their assets are located in the USA. If you were able to ascertain that an infringer has assets located in the USA (accounts or real property), then you could sue in U.S. Federal District Court, assuming that you successfully plead and allege that the foreign person/entity is intentionally directing its infringement into U.S. territory. Otherwise, you could end up with a judgment that the foreign nation wherein the infringer is located refuses to enforce.

The point is that if businesses like Microsoft, Sony, Intel, GM, et. al. have impossible difficulties trying to enforce their intellectual property rights in nations such as China or other non U.S. or EU jurisdictions -- you will likely be "tilting at windmills" attempting to enforce your IP rights.

A: Yes, but they will charge you a lot of money to discover the source of the infringement. Google, "IP Investigations" to find some service providers. If you decide to use a vendor, obtain a copy of their "curriculum vitae" and a list of cases in which the expert has testified as an expert witness in court. If the firm has no expert witness experience, look elsewhere.

A: 17 U.S.C. 512(c)(2)(A), requires that a website provide "the name, address, phone number, and electronic mail address of the agent," for notification of infringement. Sending notice to a generic domain name address is insufficient, under the DMCA, because the law requires the website to expressly provide the email and/or physical address as a prerequisite to receiving safe harbor protection. If there is no DMCA notice provided by the website, then there is no DMCA protection for the website, and no reason for you to send notice (other than as a generic cease and desist), because it won't have any legal effect.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)