BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

Hello! I just received a letter from Johnson&Pham,LLP claiming

Hello! I just received a letter from Johnson&Pham,LLP claiming that I sold a counterfeit item on Ebay and ask me to pay $20,000. I am so scared, I didn't know that the item was counterfeit and I stopped selling it once ebay asked me to. I made about $2000 from it and I really don't have that much money to pay them...They asked me for the customers' info, should I give them?

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

Customer:

hello

BizIPEsq. :

Johnson & Pham is known for sending demand letters and asking individuals it believes have infringed on the intellectual property of its clients for information.

Customer:

So do you have any suggestions?...

BizIPEsq. :

you are under NO obligation to provide any information to them at this stage. Any information you provide to them will be used against you

Customer:

I just don't have that much money to pay them.. I am a student...

Customer:

do you think I should let them know I am a student?

Customer:

that I don't have that much money to pay them....

Customer:

are you there??

BizIPEsq. :

you have three choices: 1) ignore their demands. and see what happens. The realities of a lawsuit is that it is very expensive to sue and they would not be able to go after every infringer. This is why they are very aggressive with their demands likely because they know they cannot afford to go after everyone 2) contact them and tell them you are a student and don't have any money or 3) offer them $500 (or any other amount you can offer) as a settlement and be firm with the amount you offer

Customer:

and how can I make sure they will not sue me?..

Customer:

This really scares me out

BizIPEsq. :

you can't make sure. It is their choice. But you can take a calculated risk based on the realities I just mentioned and based on the fact that even if they sue you they will not be able to recover anything because you do not have any money

Customer:

Ok. Thank you

BizIPEsq. :

you're welcome