Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I have an internet site, with code that takes a jpg

Customer Question

I have an internet site, with code that takes a jpg screenshot of a page of the site and emails it to a designated email address.  Can it be copy-written? . It is intellectual property however, the application site states, "Do not describe the program’s features or functions."   It is worth a LOT of money and I don't want to lose it to anyone. Can you suggest an alternative for me?

Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 4 years ago.
Alex Reese : Hello.....I am reviewing your question
Customer :

Hi Alex... thank you

Customer :

I'm not sure, but after further research, I think i may have to go through a patent process to protect it. I am hoping you can help me sort it all out.

Customer :

Did I lose you?

Customer :

Well, I am sorry you left. I was hoping for more information... I will continue my search for an answer. Thank you for your time and consideration. David

Alex Reese :

sorry I had a technical problem

Alex Reese :

the code (or any other original writing/text etc.) that you create is protected by copyright

Alex Reese :

the protection arises naturally, but it can be registered for added legal benefits

Alex Reese :

registration is fairly easy and can be done online at www.copyright.gov for about $35

Alex Reese :

copyright does NOT protect the functionality of a work, only the creative aspects of it

Alex Reese :

in the case of code, it protects from someone copying the code either verbatim or with "substantial similarity"....but it does not protect the functionality, so someone else could develop code that does the same thing as long as they don

Alex Reese :

't copy your code

Alex Reese :

to protect functionality (if that's what you are looking to do) you would need a patent

Alex Reese :

but this may not qualify as patentable subject matter