Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney

I copied (by typing) a three-page excerpt from the book "Reasons

I copied (by typing) a three-page excerpt from the book "Reasons to Believe" in order to send it to a friend. Within the excerpt, I made a couple of grammatical corrections and deleted an adjective that I considered superfluous. At the top of the first page, I cited the book title, publisher and page numbers. In the citation, I wrote "transcribed (with minor edits)." May I legally share this excerpt with the friend?

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

It's a bit of a stretch, but I would say that this likely falls under the "fair use" exception to copyright infringement.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Here's what the law says regarding fair use: "... the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

2. the nature of the copyrighted work;

3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Frankly you're not using that much, it's for commentary purposes, not for profit, and it's going to have zero effect (or even a positive effect) on the market or value of the copyrighted work.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Furthermore, I highly doubt that the copyright owner would come after you for this use, or even know about this use to be able to do so.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Long story short, you can almost certainly do this without fear of reprisal.

RobertMcEwenEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!