BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

Hi my student wants to become a patent agent in the US or Canada

Hi my student wants to become a patent agent in the US or Canada - what are the requirements?

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

Customer:

:)

BizIPEsq. :

The good news is that does not have to be an attorney to be a member of the patent bar. The primary per-requisite is to have an engineering / science degree. Here's how your student can do it:

BizIPEsq. :

1) Go to the US Patent and Trademark office's website at www.uspto.govand click the 'Resources' tab search for the document titled "USPTO General Requirements For Taking The Patent Bar"

Customer:

My student Frank has just completed 3rd year law at UBC in Vancouver. He has an undergraduate science degree in microbiology and immunology.

BizIPEsq. :

2) There you will find a list of educational degrees and other related acceptable fields of expertise. Choose a field to focus on and the degrees that field requires to become a patent agent. There may also be a requirement or option for an alternative training in a given field.

BizIPEsq. :

(BTW, the law degree is not relevant for the purpose of the patent bar in the US just undergraduate science degree)

Customer:

Thanks that is what I call a "good start"!

BizIPEsq. :

try again

BizIPEsq. :

you're welcome. try to rate again. Have him contact the USPTO and schedule an exam. Also highly recommended is to take a prep course

Thank you for the generous bonus
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Frank my student seems very interested in becoming a patent attorney, so many thx.. Is your software friend at all interested in my patent(s)? I now have a second one linked to the first.

Great! Do you mean you were granted a second patent?