Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I want to purchase hotel gift cards that Ill be using for

I want to purchase hotel gift cards that I'll be using for an online sweepstakes giveaway. Can I use the hotel's image, logo and description for the sweepstakes without violating any copyright laws?

Alex Reese :

hello

Alex Reese :

This invokes copyright and TM issues. On the TM side, you can use the hotel's images/text etc. but only to the extent necessary to describe your sweepstakes. On the copyright side, you really should not use any images or text without permission, unless you are showing the gift card itself. Also, you should not present this is a way that gives the false impression that you are affiliated with or sponsored by the hotel.

Alex Reese :

correction...for the TM section, I meant to say you can use their name/logo as is necessary

Alex Reese :

let me know if I can clarify anything