BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

Is it legal to share something copied/pasted from a website

Is it legal to share something copied/pasted from a website with an employee/co-worker that will benefit the company but I do not disclose the source but the security/privacy statement from that website says this "Information presented on the webserver is considered public information and may be distributed or copied. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credits is requested."

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you.

BizIPEsq. :

Let me review the question

BizIPEsq. :

Generally speaking you may not share copyrighted work (basically any work created with even a minimum amount of creativity is copyrightable) with anyone without specific permission of the copyright owner. Here it seems that such permission exists. However you cannot know for sure that the website really owns the content without verifying it.

BizIPEsq. :

So my answer to your question is that it seems you can share the contents of this website with anyone (not just with a co-worker) but you should be aware that there is the risk that a photo or other content posted on that site may not in fact belong to the site creator. Here's what you can do to further ensure your psoition:

BizIPEsq. :

1) take an screen shot of the policy you quoted and of the content you will be using as proof that the content was taken from the site and that the site gave your permission to use it

BizIPEsq. :

2) to the extent possible write to the site owner and ask for specific permission and/or confirmation of the terms of use

BizIPEsq. :

Good luck!

BizIPEsq. :

Please rate my answer. Without your rating I do not get compensated for my work.

Customer:

Thanks so much, you understood my question and answered it in a way I understood, since copyright laws are considered here I think I will write the site owner and ask permission....I'm giving you an excellent rating.