BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

I can advertise or ask for money as a business or an individual

I can advertise or ask for money as a business or an individual on the crowd funding site. I might ask people to give money to me as a person or an individual instead to fund the project. This is a medical product im trying to get manufactured into a proto type. What would be the main difference in doing so with this? Also if I do as a business how would I list my name alias as part of the business etc. This is for privacy issues mainly. Also I might in the future have my name changed to this first and last name alias. Can I use a first and last name alias to advertise this product initially? Also the reason im considering this is because I have a really odd name as is currently.------
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  BizIPEsq. replied 3 years ago.

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you.

BizIPEsq. :

Let me review your question

BizIPEsq. :

It is always recommended that for liability and tax issues that one conduct business as an incorporated entity (corporation or LLC) instead of under one's personal name (sole proprietor).

BizIPEsq. :

When you take money from people either directly or even though a crowd funding site you expose yourself to the risk of law suit or other action (there's always the risk that people will be dissatisfied with their choice to give you money). In addition, running your business as an incorporated entity allows you to deduct business expenses some of which you wold not be able to deduct otherwise if operating as an individual

BizIPEsq. :

In addition, if you are accepting money for equity then you must incorporate otherwise the investors will not have any entity to own equity in.

BizIPEsq. :

It's also important to note that since this is a medical device you really want to limit your liability due to the device malfunctioning etc. Privacy is also an important consideration in operating through an entity rather than as a person with your name visible to all.

BizIPEsq. :

As far as your name,. you could incorporate and name your company as your first name or you last name. Sometimes it's a good idea (see McDonald's) but if privacy is a concern find a good name that maybe describes what the product is.

BizIPEsq. :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you

BizIPEsq. :

Good luck!