Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I have created a "character" named Fabby. I have hired a graphic artist to draw

I have created a "character" named Fabby. I have hired a graphic artist to draw her to my specifications and paid her to do so. This character appears on several items in my wholesle business, note pads, fabric, etc. I want to copyright her...my question is do I just need to copyright the character or each drawing where the character is wearing different clothes, riding a bike, driving a car etc? So far there are 30 drawings/versions of the character (althought she always has the same face)

Alex Reese :

hello. the artwork would be copyrighted....but not the name "Fabby" (that could only be protected by a trademark.

Alex Reese :

the copyright really attaches to the work itself, not the character, but the character would incidentally be protected based on the copyrighted works

Alex Reese :

registration of the copyright is not required to have rights, but it has legal benefits

Customer:

so I would have to copyright each drawing?

Customer:

all 30 of them?

Alex Reese :

the cost is about $35 per work to copyright....you should proably do the ones that are most representative

Alex Reese :

protection of the "character" would fall under copyright/trademark

Customer:

ok so if two ddrawing she is just wearing differnt clothes I should copyright both drawings?

Customer:

is this something I can do through a stie like legal zoon?

Alex Reese :

yes, and you can do it yourself directly through www.copyright.gov, but if you are confused/have problems wit hthe application process you might want to use legalzoom etc

Customer:

thx I will go to the website!

Alex Reese :

best of luck!