BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a tech attorney and I represent clients with technology, internet and intellectual property matters
73280834

This question concerns Copyright. I have a friend in Turkey

This question concerns Copyright.

I have a friend in Turkey who asked me about Amazon's terms of service for self publishing and what rights one needs to publish on behalf of another author.

What is needed for a Turkish publisher that wants to distribute in Turkish through Amazon?

Is there a statute or code that governs this?

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

Customer:

Hello!

BizIPEsq. :

You can act as the publisher for your friend and publish through Amazon. I would recommend that you enter into a basic written agreement with your friend about your duties as publisher, the extent of work (services) you will be providing and compensation (if any). You

Customer:

So would the copyright be in my name then?

BizIPEsq. :

In the alternative your friend co do it directly however because your friend's credit card would be Turkish Amazon may reject it or may direct the account to its European subsidiary. You would need to confirm this directly with Amazon

BizIPEsq. :

copyright is with the author untill such time as the copyrights are assigned / sold

BizIPEsq. :

so if the intention is for your friend to retain copyrights then he/she will be able to

BizIPEsq. :

otherwise, in the agreement I mentioned you should note the transfer of copyrights

Customer:

Do I need any rights to publish on his behalf besides the written agreement?

BizIPEsq. :

no. the written agreement would be your permission

Customer:

Ok. Is there any code or statute I should be aware of?

BizIPEsq. :

You should consider registering the copyright of the book either on behalf of your friend or by you if the copyrights will be transfered to you.

BizIPEsq. :

registering copyrights will provide you with the ability to go to court and demand statutory damages in the event someone copies the book or uses the book without permission

Customer:

Ok anything else I should know?

BizIPEsq. :

that's it.

Customer:

Ok great. Thank you so much!

BizIPEsq. :

you are welcome. Please rate my service. Good luck!

Customer:

Excellent service!