Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

If someone makes an exact copy of an ARMY Maintenance Manual

If someone makes an exact copy of an ARMY Maintenance Manual and sells it on line for 20.00 on Ebay, wouldn't this be a violation of copyright laws??
Hello JACUSTOMER,

If the Army Maintenance Manual was produced by the U.S. Army there would be no violation of copyright laws. The U.S. Copyright Code provides that the any work produced by the U.S. Government is not entitled to copyright protection (17 U.S. Code § 105). And of course, the U.S. Army would be a branch of the U.S. Government.

In addition, even if the manual was produced by a private organization, any copyright would have expired. Currently anything published before 1923 is out of copyright protection. It is now in the public domain so that anyone can make and distribute copies. See this Copyright Duration Chart.

So, based on the above I don't believe anything illegal is going on here. You may have gotten a cheep copy of the manual, but I don't see any reportable violation of law going on.

Thomas