Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  former electrical Engineer, Computer Software Developer
14472836

Can I silkscreen a public road sign on a T shirt?

Yes you can use most signs. Most public road signs are in the public domain. There can be exceptions such as the Interstate shield, which is copyrighted by American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials.

If you found this answer useful please press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The sign I am specifically thinking of is the kind you see in Europe that shows you when you arrive in a village and when you leave a village, they have a red diagonal line thru it. with the "name" of the village.

The red diagonal line through just about anything is public these days. If someone designs a custom sign that has a red line that may be protected. If you just want to use the red line across a name you choose that is probably not going to be a problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would I be able to trademark or service mark a road sign I put on a T shirt

No, they are in the public domain.