Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

What if I want to file a trademark for a sports team name and

What if I want to file a trademark for a sports team name and but dont have a logo created. Do I have to file another trademark for the logo once it is created?

Yes you would file another trademark for the logo.

Trademarks can be in basically two forms:

(1) standard character format - which is simply words, letters, numbers without a claims to any particular design of those letters, numbers. So this is where you would want a trademark for the team name

(2) stylized/design format - this is a mark that has a design element and/or word(s) and/or letter(s) having a particular stylized appearance that you wish to protect. This would obviously cover logos, which have design elements.

See: Representation of Mark.

So, if you want to protect both the simple name, and the name which encompasses some type of design element (or logo) you would need to file a separate application for each.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if I am getting the naming rights for a baseball team and call them "seattle showers". How much protection would I receive by placing " advertising and promoting of a professional minor league baseball team" in goods and service? Can some one us the name for another company that is not in baseball, or file a trademark to use the name on merchandise and retail?

In order to be protected in multiple classifications, you would have to file in each classification of goods or services. So, if you only file for baseball teams you would only be protected in that class.