Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

hi -- im interested in trademarking "science matters" to use

hi -- i'm interested in trademarking "science matters" to use for after school science classes.

the "science matters" trademark below appears to exist for children's book. what % odds would you give my chances of getting a trademark for "science matters" for use in an after school class for kids?

Word Mark SCIENCE MATTERS
Goods and Services IC 016. US 038. G & S: series of books for children about science. FIRST USE: 19930801. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19930801
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 74442122
Filing Date September 30, 1993
Published for Opposition January 23, 1996
HelloCustomer

Your chances are very good. I would put your chances at about 70%. You would likely be applying for a service mark rather than a trademark. Trademarks are used for physical goods, while service marks are used for services. Your use would be to represent a service, not a physical good. The current registered trademark is for physical goods. And I don't see that the current registered trademark is registered in the education classification. So, again I think your chances are quite good.

Thomas