dkennedy
dkennedy, Lawyer
Experience:  15+ years of practice, including intellectual property--primarily copyright law
5930486

Can I use Rudolphs (the red-nosed reindeer) name in a story

Can I use Rudolph's (the red-nosed reindeer) name in a story song (as a background character) under "fair use" doctrine? What about his image along with other characters?
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still waiting for an answer. Have heard nothing since posting the question.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Standing by.....
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on a professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Let's keep it open. I need the answer.

As far as my research, it appears that it is not copyrighted as a "name" but you cannot use the song itself. As for the image. as long as it's your own image. For instance, I've seen storybooks with Rudolph's image, so you cannot use something like that. You need to make your own illustrations. What follow up questions do you have?

dkennedy, Lawyer
Experience: 15+ years of practice, including intellectual property--primarily copyright law
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your advice confirms my expectations. I merely want to make reference that my character is related to Rudolph, acknowledging that when Santa's reindeer are discussed, Rudolph is generally accepted as one of them in addition to the original 8 from the Clement Moore poem. So his name appears both in my story and in my original song. I had thought it might be best to not use his image at all, but I would prefer to have him visible as part of a background group in perhaps one illustration, drawn by my own illustrator. I'm sure I'd be safer by not including his image at all, so I'll keep that in mind as we plan the illustrations for the story book. I feel I'm on pretty safe ground for these usages of the name and minimal role of Rudolph as a character. Does this sound reasonable to you?
That sounds quite reasonable.