Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If you have a form, and you build off that form using some

Customer Question

If you have a form, and you build off that form using some of the information that is on "Said Form" is this Plagiarism?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm an Intellectual Property litigation attorney here to assist you.

If you take someone's ideas or works and try to claim them as your own, it is plagiarism. Here's a good link that discusses the legal aspects of plagiarism: http://definitions.uslegal.com/p/plagiarism/

Also, if the form is copyright protected, you could be sued for that as well.

Thus, your best course of action is to create your own individual form instead of using someone else's - unless you get permission.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I read the information on the web site you provided, so then next question is.. If you are not selling these forms can you still be sued. Example: Application For Hire, you add your logo, add some extra questions, and use that form for hiring is this still illegal?

What I am understanding is if you copy the information and sell the forms you can be sued is this correct if your not selling the form are you still liable?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I read the information on the web site you provided, so then the next questions are: If you are not selling these forms can you still be sued? Example: Application For Hire, you add a logo, add extra questions, and use that form for hiring (NOT SELLING) is this illegal? The main thing I got out of this is if you copy information and SELL the forms, this is when you can be sued. Is this correct?
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you can still be sued if you're not selling the forms. The copyright can be protected even if you're not trying to profit from the production of this documentation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you