Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience.

I have an approved trademark on a logo that includes the name

I have an approved trademark on a logo that includes the name of my company which allows me to use the (R) symbol on the logo. Does that also give me the right to use the (R) symbol on just the name of the company if I want use it in marketing materials without using the logo?

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

If your company name and logo were trademarked together in a design format, the company name is XXXXX XXXXX trademark protection when used in standard text. In other words, it is only protected when used with the logo, and only in the same font and style as used in the application to register the mark.

If you registered your logo in the design format and your company name as a standard character format, then you would have some flexibility to use them together or separately. If this was not done then the (R) symbol cannot be used with the name alone without the logo.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So, if under the "Mark Drawing Code" segment, it says "(3) design plus words, letters, and/or numbers", does that mean that the logo and name are seperated?

If that isn't where I would look, what section would I look at to tell me this?

Look in the "disclaimer" section - what does it say?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The name of my company is Crimson Coffee. In the disclaimer, it says:

No claim is made to the exclusive right to use "coffee", apart from the mark as shown"

It doesn't say anything about "Crimson", which is what I'm concerned about.

In showing your mark the logo should always be shown with the name. If you want to use the name without the logo, you may want to consider filing a separate trademark application to use the name alone.