Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience.

Can you please tell me if I can copyright a pattern I have

Can you please tell me if I can copyright a pattern I have designed to be used as a wood cutout for decorative artists. I have been told by the woodcutters in this business that I cannot do this and that they have a right to cut all the patterns to sell without my permission
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Much like architectural plans, it appears that these wood cutout patterns can be copyrighted. Before turning over a design, you would need to enter into a licensing agreement in exchange for a fee with the user. This agreement would spell out the scope of the user's authority to use the patterns and designs.

If you want to be able to sue for violations of your copyrights, you need to register them with the U.S. Copyright Office. See link above.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".