Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

We have a komatsu forklift we are trying to get running. The

Customer Question

We have a komatsu forklift we are trying to get running. The Ignitor melted on it so we ordered a new one, part number 1761. Put the new one on and it's still not starting. At this point I'm wondering if we should just replace the whole distributor? If so what would the part be? The only markings that they see on the engine is C60 and Japan.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: From what I can tell, they look fine.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: Komatsu Forklift
Mdoel - FG-40-4
SN - 130179
JA: What year is your Nissan?
Customer: Not exactly sure on the year but it's definitely very old.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I believe it came from the factory as a diesel unit with points and was converted to a LP unit using a distributor.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am not exactly but our technician is. I am trying to track down the parts but after talking to Pertonix regarding the Ignitor, part number 1761, I'm not sure if that is the issue and starting to wonder about if the distributor itself is bad.
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Let's see if we can can work together to get to the root of your question!

If you remove the coil wire at the distributor , do you have spark when cranking, when holding the wire close to the metal of the engine? If no spark, do you have voltage to the coil, and to the dist from the coil?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me check.

OK>

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unfortunately, the tech that was actually working on this thing took out the battery and distributor and other things when looking for the tag on the engine. So he's putting that all back together so he can try that but I do think there is power from the dist to the coil. In the mean time let me give a little more info on the issue.

OK> Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Basically, what we have is a very old Komatsu lift that went down. Model - FG-40-4 SN - 130179. What we found was there was a Pertonix Ignitor that had failed/melted. We ordered another one from a parts distributor part number KO1761. When the part came in, we noticed that the black plastic cap on the top was somewhat smaller however the base plate and magnetic sleeve were the same. So we installed the part in the distributor and put everything back together. We tried cranking the unit and it DID start however when shifting into drive/reverse or do anything, the unit would shut off. This lead the tech to believe that the part that came in because it did not enough power to fire the engine. So we went on another part hunt. After talking to the part manufacturer, Pertronix, we ended up getting the same part number, 1761. So before we order another one of these parts and it comes in being the same small version that we have, I am wondering if it might be something else causing the issue.Attached is a picture of the two parts. Left is old Right is new

I think you have a fuel issue, and the igniter is working. Is tank connection good? No gaskets or o'rings on the hose to the tank from the forklift?All gaskets and orings have ti be in the bottle , not on the hose. Are you getting enough lp to the carburetor to run engine from the regulator? If you have spark when cranking, you don't have spark problem!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Interesting. I'll have him check.

OK<

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I spoke with the tech. I guess there was some miscommunication between me and him on what "starting" was... he tried cranking it while was on the phone with him and it seemed like it was just turning over and not actually starting...He put everything back together are he is seeing a visible spark at all the plugs however he said it is very faint/dark? The plugs were just replaced and cables about a year ago. The LP tank is full and I would think that it should be getting the juice it needs

Try a little starting fluid to see if it will run, with lp, it can be not getting gas, as you can't see it!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll have them give it a shot. Where would I apply that too?

Remove the air cleaner and introduce though the intake housing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well we gave the starter fluid a shot and still nothing.

Is there a governor plate below the carburetor? Is it open?

You say spark is weak? Was coil replaced with igniter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's going to check on the governor plate. Yes he is telling me the spark is weak. If the coil is the same as "points" then yes.
From what I understand, the machine shipped with "points" and was replaced with a distributor and igniter. The igniter that was put on it was what failed originally from what we believe. We ordered a new one using the part number we pulled, P/N 1761. The new part was visibly smaller(reference earlier attached image) When we put that one on, the lift started very weakly and when was shifted into gear, shut off. Since that one time, it will turn over but not start, even using the starter fluid.Wondering if that smaller Ignitor, even though its technically the right part number if its not providing enough spark?

The igniter does not make the spark, the coil has to make the spark. The igniter in the distributor has to send voltage to the coil, for it ot make spark stronger.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Sorry never got to familiar with exactly how those worked. So would it be worth it to replace that coil as well? Doing a bit of research on how that actually works now hahaha.

I would replace the coil. Be sure it is compatible with the igniter from Pertronix. If in doubt call them back.

I see question is still open. Did you get it going? Please rate to close.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still working on getting a part number for the coil. Is it ok to leave the question open? You're doing Excellent right now!Thanks again for the help!

Yes, leave it open until you are up and running!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Curtis! If were replacing that coil you think it wouldn't hurt to just get a whole new distributor?

Distributor is mechanical, other than the pickup coil in it. I would not replace it.