Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

Have an old hyster forklift about 5K runs good goes forward

Customer Question

Have an old hyster forklift about 5K runs good goes forward and reverse lifts up and down. But it now wont steer. Low on fluid, put fluid in it but didnt change anything. Name plate unreadable.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The industrial equipment mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: do you have any idea what could be wrong? checked for a belt and couldnt find one.
JA: Anything else you want the industrial mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello! Let's see if we can can work together to get to the root of your question!

Where is the power steering pump and reservoir? Older models have separate pump and reservoir. Power steering pump would be belt driven off the front of the engine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pump is putting fluid to the steering box under pressure but wont turn the wheels. Hyd. pump is bolted on the front of the motor . Checked the push button brake and it is working. Tried to force turn the wheel and it takes two people to turn the steering wheel.

Does it have a power steering cylinder at the axle, or is all power through the steering gear to the axle linkage? If it has power steering cylinder, cylinder internal seal may be blown, letting cylinder not get pressure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Does not have a steering cylinder. Steering box in front has rod to the back box and linkage out of the rear box to the wheels.

So all pressure is generated by the pump, and is applied at the steering gear. You have any pictures of the unit and P/S pump? Either pump is not capable of producing pressure, or the steering gear is bypassing.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have pictures of the pump. I have ask my employee to send me a picture of the pump. he sent me a picture of the lift. I will send it to your phone.

Has to be attached on your side of the typing bar. There i slink there to attach. At this point, do you have a gage to check pump pressure? Needs to be around 1500 psi.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just sent you 4 picturs of the lift and the picture of the steering bar and pump, does this help?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not have a pressure gauge to check it out.

I see no pictures attached! If you raise the rear wheels off the ground, can you steer it? Showing that the steer axle has not locked up in the spindles.

I see question is still open, did you find probelm?