Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

Gpx25 25 forklift wont go into reverse and wants to creep

Customer Question

Clark gpx25 25 forklift wont go into reverse and wants to creep forward in neutral, forward works fine
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Industrial Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Ok
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes have removed tranny valve body, checked springs and plungers inside, also checked selinods, and switched them from forward side to reverse side and still no reverse
JA: Anything else you want the industrial mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Industrial Equipment
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello! Let's see if we can can work together to get to the root of your question!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok do you need any info

Does it act like the brakes are locked when you go to reverse? Typical problem with this forlkift is the forward clutch is stuck, and does not release.

If swapping the shift solenoids make no difference, then the forward clutch has failed. So you have no neutral, and when you go to reverse, it is still in forward, so they work against each other. Check the transmission fluid and filter looking for clutch material. Repair would be to rebuild the forward clutch pack.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where is the trans filter? And what type of fluid to use?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you have any schmatics on how to locate forward clutch pack?

Look at the above link, and find OM 520-3 for filter location and fluid requirements.

I don't have access to a service manual.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The owners put a new filter on before bringing it to us, is there another way to determine if the forward clutch has been compromised?

If forward clutch does not drop out, and keeps pulling in neutral, and transmission locks up when reverse is selected, the forward clutch is bad! If swapping solenoids made any difference, it could have a bad control valve or solenoid, but that did not happen. From what I know as a Clark dealer service manager, this is what is wrong!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

I see question is still open, did you find my response?