Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

JLG 4934rt tilt sensor was when scissor lift was raised in

Customer Question

JLG 4934rt tilt sensor was when scissor lift was raised in uneven conditions. Lowered the lift and tilt sensor is still activated and can not move the machine or raise or lower the lift. Only controls that are operational are the deck extensions.
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 3 months ago.

Can you level the sensor by hand?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Assuming you are meaning the tilt sensor. The tilt sensor is located at the top of the inside of the ground controls. When I unscrewed the high end of the sensor and lowered to approx level there was no change.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Both extension on each end have been extended and fully retracted. I have pulled the manual descent valve numerous times to make sure lift is lowered and all the scissors appear to be bottomed out.

Is it giving you a flashing fault code on the yield or stop sign?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is flahing 3/4 or 4/3 on the system failure at the platform controls.

What is your serial number?

I would replace the level sensor that should fix your issue it may have shorted out

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Serial # is(###) ###-#### I really do not want to get into replacing parts until the problem has been diagnosed. I am assuming that once the lift is raised when the trip sensor is triggered that all systems are locked until the platform is lowered completely. Is it possible that the sensor identifying the platform location is open or not sending the signal that the platform is completely lowered locking out the travel and lift.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am fairly competent as a general mechanic, I am just not familiar with this particular unit.

Yes it could be there is a limit switch under the arms in the middle of the lift that tells the ECM if it is raised or lowered

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been able to locate the Rotary Angle Sensor, which I do not think would be the problem, but have not located the Proximity Sensor Switch. Is there any way to put the lift into a service mode to raise the platform to lock out the scissors and check the switches.

There should be a service bypass switch on the lower controls should be located by the emergency cutoff

Do you need me to call you? You should be able to use auxiliary power to raise the platform

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do not need to call me yet. I will try a few more things

Ok let me know if you have anymore questions