Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.

One of the hydraulic pumps on my Hyster E40A is stuck on. I

Customer Question

One of the hydraulic pumps on my Hyster E40A is stuck on. I think it is the main up/down pump.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Lift valve has micro switch that close the pump motor contactor. Micro switch can be stuck, or the contactor can be stuck. Locate the pump motor contactor and remove the small leads that are used to close the contactor. If the contactor still powers the pump , then the contactor is bad and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It stopped when we tried pushing the forklift back. For future reference, when it happens again: It sounds like the motor is behind the lower right panel which has a hole in the center top that appears to be for unlatching the panel, but may require a special tool. Just playing around with a screw driver I couldn't get it to unlatch. Any ideas on how to get this panel to unlatch?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

It should be be unlatched with a large flat head screwdriver.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to head out. I will try a larger screwdriver in the morning. Any way we can continue this tomorrow if I still can't get the panel off?Also, is the control lever opening and closing this microswitch you are talking about. It is weird, because you can still move the forks up and down ok, it is just that the pump motor doesn't stop when you release the lever.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Panel can also have allen screw, but you should be able to see what it is. It is not a special tool. I will be in and out tomorrow.