Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

Why does the XMSM 5 amp fuse fail often on my Hyster S50xm?

Customer Question

Why does the XMSM 5 amp fuse fail often on my Hyster S50xm? This lift has Monotrol pedal. sometime I go a week, then sometimes the fuse blows when I turn the key. the serial number isD187V30418A. Thanks so much.
Philip Gibson(###) ###-####
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 6 months ago.

What does the XMSM stand for? Can you send a picture of the fuse box?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
after blowing many fuses yesterday, I put in a fuse this morning and drove it some. Could something heat up and cause the fuse to blow? Hyster S60xm. Fuse location on left side above brake pedal and below hand brake

Ok let me see if I can locate a shematic and see what is in that circuit

What engine does your lift have?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
madza 2.0 lpg

Ok I have a schematic I will send to you and I will also study it and see what that fuse controls might just be it needs a bigger fuse

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yesterday we put a fuse in it and it drives around now. Could something heat up and cause the failure? If you could show me what all the stuff is that is in the wiring diagram, I could try to find them and see if they are the problem. I have a new foot control on the lift. Is there a way to test the forward and reverse solenoids?Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We tried 15 amp fuses and they blow too

What color are the wires going in and out of that fuse spot?

The xmsm oil pressure and water temp all run off that fuse check all the sensors and make sure they are not shorted out look at page 76 on that file I sent that will show you what that fuse controls

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When the key is turned the brown wire has 12 volts. the other side of the fuse has two wires one blue, the other is white.

Disconnect the oil pressure sending unit and run it see if the fuse blows

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I disconnected the sensor next to the block, but there is a larger bell shaped sensor further out on the same pipe which I did not disconnect. I removed the flasher, tried the light switches, and the fuse blew. I replaced it, it blew, replaced it and drove around for 6 minutes, it blew. I replaced it, moved pallets and turned it off. When I started, the fuse blew. I replaced and have been using it for quite al long time. I turned it on then off waited, started and moved, turned off, waited longer, started and moved it. Could something heat up to cause the problem? Would you tell me where the neutral start relay, service brake switch, xmsm neutral switch, and the service brake relay are on his tractor?

Yes something could be sticking causing the fuse to blow. the service brake switch should be located under the brake pedal. The neutral switch is located on top of the transmission and the relay should be in the fuse box above the fuse that keeps blowing

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I ran the tractor Saturday with no problems. Today I cranked it up at 1600 hours and the fuse was blown. It had not been cranked at all today. The emergency brake was not on. I checked and there is no voltage going through the switch at all when the key is off. Help

Ok Is there anything pulling voltage when the key is in off position check with your meter on ground at the battery take the switch out so you can see the wiring on the back of the switch see which wires are hot when key is on and start see if those wires continue to have voltage when the key is in off position

Any news yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No leakage in key switch. I searched for loose/broken wires, found none. I have ordered the brake pressure switch. The fuse has only blown once since we did key switch and we have use the lift for two full days now.when I try the brake pressure switch, I will let you know.