Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

I have an RF6L913 XNDist ID 3-393 WO 50878 and I have a main

Customer Question

Hi. I have an RF6L913 XN(###) ###-####Dist ID 3-393 WO 50878 and I have a main oil seal leak and an oil pan leak. It's a '82 no big surprise but wanted to know a) how to do the oil seal and b) can I do it 'in frame' or is it wildy complex?
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

What is it! Numbers do not indicate what this is, what is engine model number?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure: Deutz Air Diesel 6 cyl. ENGINE MODEL NUMBER BF6L913. SN is(###) ###-#### this is standard Deutz ID. The distributor is Deutz Diesel in Doraville, Georgia. I have photos of the ID tags and the engine block.

Rear seal is going to have to come out the back, so the tractor has to be split and the flywheel removed to get to the seal. engine can be removed or tractor has to be split. With you wanting to replace oil pan gasket, removing engine might be best.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Curtis - this isn't a tractor and the seal is the front seal. It's a genset and I have access to the front of the genset. Are you familiar with Deutz engines and their use in Film Gensets? Are you the same Curtis B who is advising me on my Club Car XRT transmission problems? That's quite a range...

One and the same. My first real job was with a Detroit Diesel Distributor and one of our bread and butter lines was generator sets. I was diesel tech , long before I got into Clark equipment as a service rep and later as a service manager. I know Deutz engines, but not familiar with Film Genset.?? You said main seal, I think of main seal as rear crankshaft seal. Front seal is much easier, other than getting to it. All depends on what has been added to the front area. As for oil pan, it may not be leaking, I would want to sure it is not coming from front seal, or coming from higher up on engine and running down.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. Front seal. Need to pull the pulley. I can see where it's leaking as I have plotted all the drips and leaks with paper. Easy access. Oil pan is leaking, we have 'weeps'. Generator for film, using deutz like any other genset except that its sound attenuated and in the case of Deutz Air Diesels, they have 'snorkels' for intake and exhaust and expelled air instead of baffled radiators. I have a small additional leak behind the injector pump (a bridge hose) that's probably a worn brass washer type seal, but that's for the injector shop to pull and fix.

Yes, Deutz is oil cooled diesel, instead of water. But is pretty much same! Our Gen sets were mostly airline units and boats.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
getting back to the original question, "a) how to do the oil seal and b) can I do it 'in frame' or is it wildy complex?" Can I pull the crankshaft pulley and change this in frame? Have you done Deutz before? They are a special beast with many unique features.Thanks!

Crank shaft pulley removal will let you pull the front seal out with out going any deeper . Use sheet metal screws or sheet rock self tapping screws to pry it out.