Jeremy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Medium/Heavy Duty Technician, Hydraulics, Brakes, Electrical Certified

I'm looking cnc machine to cut metal (stainless steel,

Customer Question

I'm looking for a cnc machine to cut metal (stainless steel, aluminum) no big then .005 inch thick maybe a little thicker what are my options. I want to get a laser so the cuts are fine and I dont have to clean it up. The diameter of each cut will be about 2 inches and within the circle I will be cut words and images and I will stick this metal on a light so I can project the image. Please only respond if you have first hand knowledge. Not looking for quick searches online answers which I have already done.
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Is there any other work you plan to do with the CNC machine? What kind of space will you have for one? How large do you need for the working surface?

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
For now just cutting above mentioned material. The working surface can be as small as 4 inch X 4inch or a little bigger. Trying to keep costs since I'm starting out. No other plans for now maybe cutting / carving wood later but not important now.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

Sounds like you just need a desktop style cutter then. Not a large Industrial size machine for doing car hoods and large projects.

Like maybe a 40W to a 100W size machine.

These are some ebay examples for the desktop styles where they are smaller. The second one is the better of them all and it is a good machine. We have one here for cutting small pieces of exhaust for our fabrication shop. We have a FT fabricator in our diesel repair shop and he is always using it.

Oh, both of those will allow CAD software to be used for design projects with software enhanced cuts.

If you are looking for something more Industrial size to build up to for larger projects, then look into Epilog Laser CNC machines. CLICK HERE for the Epilog cutters. They have outstanding back end support and do training through a company called Thomas CNC Cuts when you buy the large machines. We have a plasma cutter, a lathe, a cutter, and a finisher from them. Very rarely have we had any issues with them.

I apologize on the delay getting back. I'm having internet issues. We're getting the road expanded coming into the subdivision for a new expansion with Fiber upgrades and the internet is sporadic. Every time the cable comes on, it kicks back out and the internet with it.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

Now is you really build up and need to make a lot of projects, get a warehouse going in a couple of years, and really need to put out a lot of work, you want a Haas! These are the cream of the crop and are fantastic machines! I'm not a seller for any of them, but if I could afford it, these would be the ones I would get. You can make nearly anything with these. I work with another shop that does a lot of machine work that has one and they have 5 of these setup like a production line doing cuts for lawnmowers. They had them paid off in less than 2 years from a lucky contract they got. These can work nearly 24/7 and be clean every time.

These are if you really want to expand. For your work though with starting out, I would suggest getting one at around $3 to 4k and have it paid for in 2 to 3 months of work, expand out and do engraving jobs with it, buy a second one in a few months to expand, and so forth. Then have 4 of them going at the end of the year and then you can go larger. There is money to be made with fabrication if you are in a city and can sale to the local shops for custom jobs.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jeremy based on my research thus far I would be better suited with a fiber laser cutting machine. Once the machine is done cutting I don't want to have to clean it up. I want clean cuts which don't require any cleanup. That being said what would you recommend?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

I've always worked with CO2 cutters, not fiber. Mazak is the only company I have ever worked with that has one. On that style, I can't make much of a recommendation, unfortunately.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can co2 cutter make a clean cut on 005 or 004 of an inch? I dont want to have to clean the inner edges.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

Not on that thin. Laser would be better. That is pretty thin.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.