Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

Looking ignition wiring diagram 1967 champ forklift with a

Customer Question

Looking for the ignition wiring diagram for a 1967 champ forklift with a 231 Chrysler engine
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Industrial Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Industrial Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The machine runs for about 30 minutes then begins running rough and stops, points are found burnt.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Industrial Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: It has a coil that reads no external resistor needed. But everything I've researched says it does need a resistor to control the voltage to the points.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Industrial Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 9 months ago.

Do you know your model and serial number? I will see what I can find out for you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Model is the 200, serial #cc538

Ok let me see what I can find for you.

What kind of distributor cap is on your engine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
plastic

Is the coil mounted to the distributor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it is just to the right if your looking at the distributor.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I mean to the left.

Is the coil new?

Right be side the points there should be a condensor looks like this this is like a resistor has it been replaced if not that is your problem I can not find a schematic in my files but can opt out to see if some else does are you can keep working with me

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am told that it was. Today, I purchased, new points, condenser, rotor and coil. All 12 volt. All though we haven't tried to start it yet.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have told the system requires a resistor, yet the coil states no external resistor required.

The condensor is a type of resistor I would install all those parts you purchased and see if your issue is solved you also might want to install new plugs and wires

Any update yet?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We're down for the evening. I have no idea how to wire it. And the guy who undid it isn't here. I'm kind of screwed

You should have a hot wire when key is on at the coil and a ground wire at the coil condensor and points and rotor go in the distributor I will send a pic of the points and condensor

Here is a picture of the distributor.

Hot wire and ground wire on coil and wire from coil to distributor

Do you need more help?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
According to the boss, about two months ago they changed all of the equipment that we did today. So it is his belief this won't work. Well he also said that we need to check the resistor volts on each side.... I don't even no where to begin with that. So I can't answer your question yet until I wire it and try it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It didn't work, I have a faint Blu spark at coil to dust cap. No fire.

How much voltage is going to the coil?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
walk me through that testing procedure. I have a bolt meter.

Put black probe on frame or battery ground and put red probe at battery positive on the coil.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will give it a shot, I have a multi meter I still trying to figure it out.

Ok let me know if you need more help