Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.

We have a hysterectomy challenger 165 with a manual

Customer Question

We have a hysterectomy challenger 165 with a manual transmission and Perkins diesel engine. Hydraulic oil has started leaking endlessly from the starter solenoid. Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

I believe you have a wet clutch on this forklift, and if so, the bell housing is filled with oil. The starter has to be a sealed starter, and would have seal.gasket between the starter solenoid and the bell housing. You just need to have starter repaired and be sure you get a sealed starter!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Curtis, Sorry about the auto spell correct. It is a Hyster forklift. Yes it has a wet clutch. Would it continuously leak even when parked if the starter seal failed? Thanks for the advice.

Yes, starter should not leak running or off. It would leak continuously. Only thing that does need to be checked is the drain from the bell housing, the oil has to drain and recirculate, it should not completely fill the cavity.

Is there an inspection cover on top of the bell housing ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cannot answer that question. I don't have my eyes on it right now, but I don't think it does.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The thing I noticed was a large line running out from the bottom of the bell housing.

Large line would be the return / drain line.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your help I'll have to look at it and get back to you

OK> Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Curtis, I am finally with the machine. There is no inspection cover