Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.

I have large 200 gal. 3 hp Air Compressor with twin stage

Customer Question

I have large 200 gal. 3 hp Air Compressor with twin stage compressor running on 240vAC. Problem is that it won't build up pressure and shut off like normal, and when I turn off the power I can hear air leaking from out off one of the compressor air filters that are in place to filter air into twin head compressor. So it sounds like something has given way? Maybe a seal is leaking or something..Do they use some kind of seal to keep air from coming back out or am i looking at failing piston rings in that cylinder as cause for leak and therefore loss of pressure in tank as well as for reason it could not build up to shut off pressure. And if it is piston and rings that inside compressor cylinders can they be replaced and fix the problem? I have worked on all kinds of equipment and vehicle but first large air Compressor so no familiar with how the internals work, but Looks like i am about to find out.. lol Any advice is very much appreciated..
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
look for check valve in the line from the compressor going to the tank. This check valve should keep any air from leaking back to the compressor. It has to be leaking.
Did you see my reply?