Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.

I had a 4.5 Onan three phase genset on a '94 Ford to power

Customer Question

I had a 4.5 Onan three phase genset on a '94 Ford to power a Telsta boom. I am trying to figure out the wiring in the junction box between the genset and the truck. There are nine wires coming out of the genset; red battery power from truck, #87 is a ground from the key to start the engine, a yellow (F) that goes to an electric fuel pump, #45-#44-#43 are the power leads, #42 white comm, #56 green ground and a #61 is the one in question. #61 is white coming out of the genset and black in the junction box. Can you tell me what #61 is for? The genset stopped making electric power and I am trying to wire in a different generator. With the new genset, the turret rotates, the boom will retract but not extend, the boom tries to raise at about 1/2" at a time but will lower OK.
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online. In some cases you may need to contact a dealer or service center for this model here to see if they can give you the diagram info or tell you how this is wired to your model here or to make this work.If this is not an option for you or was already attempted let me know so we can continue from here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Pete, do you have any experience with Onan generators? This #61 wire comes out of the circuit board on the genset and goes to the control panel on the truck that can operate the boom from the ground. I am trying to find out if it supplies power to or receives power from the control panel that I believe is 12V.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Going to split some firewood, will check back later.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete