Bradley Martin
Bradley Martin,
Experience:  Field Technician at Thompson Tractor Company
29889544

I have a Hyster S40XL. It goes in reverse, but I lost forward.

Customer Question

I have a Hyster S40XL. It goes in reverse, but I lost forward. Right before it happened it was shuttering at low speed in fwd and was going into reverse a little when shifting in neutral . Could it be as simple as an adjustment or are there other issues? Looking in line it seems like a common problem for the 40 and 50 but no body mentions a solution.
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked and made sure you forward solenoid on top of the transmission is getting signal from the shifter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't know much about it. I thought it was a mechanical shift, it has a lever on the steering column.
Ok older than I thought have you tried disconnecting the linkage from the column and manually try to put it in forward it might just be out of adjustment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No , I haven't done much other than check transmission fluid. Is that something that would change that quickly? I will have to check tomorrow. Are there some other things I should look for as well?
Might need to pull you floor plate up and look at it make sure it is mechanical or if it has solenoids on top of the trans if it has solenoids it could be trash has gotten in the valve body or lost power to the solenoid if it is mechanical it could have just gotten out of adjustment if the fluid looks ok I would not suspect the clutches are worn but might have blown a piston seal inside the transmission and not show signs in the fluid we have to do some pressure checks to confirm that let me know tomorrow when you look under the floor plate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** use this in a boat yard so it does a lot of pushing and pulling of trailers. Will check tomorrow and let you know. Thanks
Any update today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inspected everything today. It is mechanical. Linkage is moving freely. Adjustment corresponds with the detents . Replaced the filter. Fluid looks clean as can be.
Do you have forward now or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change
Ok looks like we are going to have to check pressures do you have a pressure gauge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of gauge? I have fuel pressure gauges, will that work?
what psi does the gauge go up to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think about 80
Need one that will read at least 1500 psi
You could also pull the forward and reverse spool out of the transmission might just have a broken spool
Any update yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had somebody come out and look at it and they said it is an internal transmission problem.
That is what I was thinking next glad you found out your issue let me know if you need anymore help and please rate me when you get a chance