Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

I need help with a komatsu fg25 lp forklift.

Customer Question

Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have spark at the spark plugs? If you spray a little starting fluid into intake, will engine run for a few seconds? Have you ran a compression test? All cylinders above 100 psi? Do you have propane to the regulator, if you loosen line from lockoff valve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not checked compression. Don't have any starting fluid here.Good spark at plugs as well as lead from coil to Dist. Points gap looks ok. Have not measured it. Loosened up the pipe plug on reg. That has water coming to it and there is propane coming out of that.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

LP fuel is invisible, what do you have for a carburetor? Is there a governor under the carburetor? See if the governor plate is open. If governor spring breaks, the plate closes, and engine gets no fuel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has an impco ca55. The go net spring is not broken. The plate is open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stuck a pin in the first reg when cranking. The diaphragm moves.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I put my have over the carb when cranking it pulls pretty hard.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

CA55 has a diaphragm in it, is the diaphragm good? Is there a vacuum line from intake to the regulator or lockoff? Is it good? You have Model J regulator? does it have center/spring loaded valve in the center? Does this valve have tension?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the base setting on the mixture screw?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how to tell if the diaphragm is good. It flutters when u crank the motor. It also moves up and down Freely. There is a Vacum line to the advance, the air box and to the first reg. All look good. Does the air box have to be on for the unit to run? That leaves one line off.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

PLug the open line for test. But you do need to have vacuum to the first regulator, which is the lockoff .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to do that tomorrow. I left already.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK. and the Diaphragm on the CA55 is only checked by physically looking at it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't pop off with starting fluid, each cylinder has 150psi or more for compression. Took the carb apart. The diaphragm looks brand new?? Looks just like a piston ring. Some scrapes on the wall but can't feel them with my finger nail. Checked all the plugs for spark. They check out. I am stumped.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Remove the # ***** spark plug and the distributor cap, and spin engine and watch rotor position. See if the rotor seems to be at # ***** spark plug cap location when it blows compression. Do it a few times to try and pinpoint rotor position. If rotor is not close, the timing may have jumped on the engine. I want to think this is a timing belt engine.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Was engine out of time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say that it may have skipped? Do you know the firing order for this motor? How do I check the timing? Or how do I time the motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The book said the order is 1-3-4-2. 1 being the closest to the fan/rad. The Dist spins counter clockwise. I put my finger over the 1 plug hole and it seems like the rotor on #2 when it reaches compression.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

So it has skipped. Timing order is correct. I would have to do some research to find timing . But with this engine, it should just be linking crank with pointer to TDC on the lower pulley and ,ark on camshaft gear at straight up. I would need engine model number, example 5R.??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nissan h20
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to remove the radiator to time it??
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It would make it easier.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Page 33 shows the components. It has timing chain! Chain will have two links marked, that match the marks on the two gears,

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Will be the same as this Datsun.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it has s chain how th heck does it skip ?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You can try to turn distributer to match the # ***** blowing compression, it may work. But if not, chain may have that much wear!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Going back and reading what has took place, the distributor you installed may need to be turned or wires moved one position!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to leave I will mess with it again later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried moving the wires. That did not work.I did not install any of that stuff. I wish I did.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>