Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Certified.
30708357

We have a c15accert cat that I think has oil coming out of

Customer Question

we have a c15accert cat that I think has oil coming out of turbo it has had both replaced in Feb. Can I plug oil return and put a reg in air line and put air pressure to them
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.
Unfortunately air pressure can not be used to test the turbo. It can damage it.
How much oil is coming out?
Can you get me the engine serial number?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

SDP11065 we ran it down the road it smoke for a little the quit come back let it set and idle for a little bit it start smoking a little and dripping we let it idle for hour and half it went threw a little over a gallon of oil. when I took the elbow off going to charge air cooler it had oil puddled in it again. I have pulled both returns to make sure they were not stop up.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the information
Unfortunately I have had this happen to me a few times. The engine is high crankcase pressure. On an SDP engine high crankcase pressure will cause oil to be pushed from the turbos. Basically pushing past the turbo seal and damaging it
The high crankcase pressure is normally caused by a plugged crankcase filter. If the filter is OK, then I would suspect excessive cylinder wear or possibly a worn air compressor. I've never had an air compressor cause this problem but it's possible. I have only had plugged crankcase filters and cylinder wear.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

since the turbos are both leaking oil now will they have to be replaced

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

how would you ck the air compressor

Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately yes the turbos will
Need to be replaced. Once they start leaking, the seal is bad.
To test the air compressor the truck can be put on a dyno and removed and capped off. Sometimes it's easier to just replace the compressor.