Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

I have a 5533A Biljax lift and the platform level appears to

Customer Question

I have a 5533A Biljax lift and the platform level appears to be working against itself, aka Dead heading, the motor runs but hydraulics load up.
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Level cylinder has a counter balance valve in it ,that has to hold when cylinder is is static position. When cylinder needs to move, this counter balance valve has to be overcome with pressure, to keep basket stable. This valve is not opening. Locate the valve at the base of the cylinder. With basket on the ground, and pressure relieved, you can remove the valve and check it for damage. If no obvious problem, the counterbalance valve needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have already tried that and we think the valve is working because when we removed one line, fluid was relieved from the cylinder and the cylinder moved in the direction of control. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Counter balance has to open or cylinder will not move, oil will just dead head. If correct pressure is getting to the cylinder counterbalance block, the counterbalance is not opening! There should be two valves, one for each direction. Did you check both?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Counter balance valve is working as long as return line is open, the cylinder moves in the direction of control ( example: ask it to extend and it extends as long as opposite line is disconnected Same for pulling it back if extension side is disconnected. This indicates the valves are opening because fluid is exiting the cylinder by way of the disconnected hydraulic line. Could it possibly be a closed solenoid downstream towards the tank/reservoir ?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Not sure there is a down stream solenoid! Should be return ,back through control valve to tank return. Is retunr open back to tank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, fluid is definitely not returning to the tank . We show two separate solenoids , one for extension and one for return, but we can not physically determine which ones these are per the schematic in the Biljax service/ parts manual . Do you know of any better schematics for the electric / hydraulic systems? If we could determine which two solenoids control the extension and return, we would be able narrow down which solenoids to check. ( there are, I think, about 6 total) Our e-mail address is***@******.*** if you have a good schematic or can suggest somewhere we could find one.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No , I do not. Take voltmeter and test the solenoids when you power up the basket level. If there is voltage. check solenoids and swap them, if they are same. If no voltage, need to trace back to see why there is no voltage to solenoids.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis,
That was our next step. We were just hoping there was a simple answer to this complicated problem. We will check it out with the volt meter and if there is any new information of value, we will share it as we clarify our original question. Thanks for helping. I will follow up with more information tomorrow as to what we find.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> Thanks.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Please rate to close the question!